4 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon curry powder; * more if desired
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 cup finely chopped carrots
1/2 cup finely chopped celery
1 cup water
3/4 cup finely pureed fresh tomatoes; --or--
1/2 cup canned tomato puree
3 cup cooked split peas
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 cup light cream; or milk (1/2 to 3/4)
1 chopped coriander; for garnish
Directions: How to Cook Cream Of Curried Vegetable And Split Pea Soup
1. Heat the butter in a 3 to 4 quart deep pot over medium-high heat.
2. When it is very hot, add the curry powder and immdeiately add the onion, carrots, and celery. Saute the vegetables, stirring often to ensure that they brown evenly, for 5 minutes.
3. Add 1 cup water, the tomatoes, split peas, pepper, and salt. Cover and cook over low heat until the vegetables are tender (10 minutes).
4. Add enough light cream or milk to mellow and velvetize the soup as well as thin it.
5. Heat the soup thorougly and serve garnished with chopped fresh coriander
NOTES : Cook the split peas so that they are tender but not mushy. At my house, we use 2 Tbsp. curry powder. This is different and very very tasty ! Posted to recipelu-digest Volume 01 Number 549 by RecipeLu
Recent comments and reviews for this recipe:
No comments, so be the first!
Add your comment: