13/16 cup of water
1 teaspoon tea leaves
Directions: How to Cook Indian Milk Tea (Chai) #07
Ha, my favourite drink, and topic! How to make the perfect chai and then sip (note sip, not drink!) it in peace.
The Perfect Chai:
1. For each cup, of chai u need about 4/5 th cup of water, u are going to lose some water in evaporation etc.. and u are going to add milk for the rest. This measure can be changed to suit your proportion of tea+milk.
2. Boil the water and then pour it into the tea pot. Now ad the tea leaves, I use about 1 teaspoon/cup.
3. Now close the pot, and if u want to preserve the heat, close it with a sort of insulating cap u get for the pot.
4. Now heat some milk separately.
5. The cups can be pre-heated by rinsing with hot water.
6. After the tea has brewed for 7-10 minutes, pour the tea into the cups through a strainer, add milk + sugar.
Modified Chai (doesn't need pot etc..)
1. Boil the water in a regular vessel
2. Turn off the gas, add chai and close the vessel with a plate so that the steam stays in
3. Other steps are same
1. Cut some pieces of ginger, crush them with a spoon. Add it to the water when u boil it. U can also add Ilaichi (cardamom ) to add flavor.
U can try various types of tea. The best is got by mixing the so called dust tea and leaf tea. Dust adds strength, while leaf gives a distinctive flavor to it. Try Darjeeling tea, its great.
And remember tea should never be boiled, it should be brewed.
From rec.food.cooking archives. Downloaded from Glen's MM Recipe Archive, http://www.erols.com/hosey.
Recent comments and reviews for this recipe:
| anil kumble writes:|
Posted on 04 Apr 2011, 11:44 ET
Add your comment: