2 large eggplants; peeled and diced
2 tomatoes peeled; seeded and finely diced
3 tablespoon ghee or oil
2 onions; chopped finely
1 1 1/2 fresh ginger
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 1/8 chili pepper
1/2 teaspoon cumin; ( ground)
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander seeds
1 tablespoon garam masala
1 salt and pepper; to taste
Directions: How to Cook Indian Style Eggplant Puree Bringal Bartha Aug 95
1. Place eggplant in a colander in layers sprinkling salt between each layer.
2. Place ginger and chili in a small food processor and puree
3. Heat ghee or oil in a saucepan and add onions, cook until translucent.
4.Stir in ginger and continue cooking until onions start to brown.
5.Add the turmeric, 1 tsp garam masala, coriander and cumin and cook stirring 1 minute.
6. Add the tomatoes and stir 2 minutes.
7. Rinse the eggplant and squeeze out all water between the palm of your hands, and add to pan. Season with salt and pepper.
8. Turn down heat, cover and simmer 1 to 1 1/2 hour, stirring often until all becomes a puree.
9. Add the rest of the garam masala and stir 3 minutes.
NOTES : If eggplant starts drying add a little water( very little)
Recipe by: Miriam Podcameni Posvolsky
Recent comments and reviews for this recipe:
No comments, so be the first!
Add your comment: