4 tablespoon oil
2 medium onions, finely chopped
450 gm potatoes, diced into 2cm
1 small cauliflower
1 cut into 2cm pieces
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/3 teaspoon chilli powder
1 teaspoon ground cummin
2 tomatoes, chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon sugar
200 gm peas
1/2 teaspoon garam masala (see below)
Directions: How to Cook Aloo Gobi Aur Mater (Cauliflower With Potatoes And Peas)
1. Heat the oil in a karahi(wok) over medium high heat
2. Add the onions and fry for 3-4 minutes until light brown
3. Add the potatoes and cauliflower and stir. Add the turmeric, chilli, cummin, tomatoes, salt and sugar. Stir fry for 2-3 minutes.
4. Add the peas, cover and reduce heat to a medium low and cook for about 20 minutes until the potatoes and cauliflower are tender. During the cooking period stir the vegetables a few times to stop them sticking.
5. Sprinkle with garam masala.
It's that easy!
Garam Masala means "hot spices" and is a mixture of ground spices that is used sparingly, sprinkled either on a finished dish or on to the foods just before it has finished cooking. It is far better to grind your own spices than to buy the mixture ready-ground. Bought garam masala often contains inferior quality spices and will not keep its flavour for long.
For homemade garam masala, grind together cardamom seeds from 10 pods, 25g cinnamon stick, 6 cloves and 6-8 whole black peppercorns. Store in an airtight jar in a cool place.
Compiled by Imran C.
Recent comments and reviews for this recipe:
No comments, so be the first!
Add your comment: