2 lb pomfret (i've done it with
1 pomfret it's s -- fish
2 can coconut milk
1 pinch turmeric
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
3 medium onions
1 5-cm piece of ginger
6 green chilies
4 large tomatoes
1 teaspoon vinegar
3 tablespoon butter (ghee is better)
1 salt to taste
1 coriander (cilantro) leaves
Directions: How to Cook South Indian Fish Curry
1. Chop onions and tomatoes.
2. Make a paste of the turmeric, cumin, ginger and chillies.
3. Clean and cut the fish into sensible pieces.
1. Heat the butter/ghee. Put in the onions, tomatoes and the spice-paste. Fry for 15 minutes.
2. Add the salt and one can of coconut milk. Cook for five minutes.
3. Put in the fish. Mix well and then put the vinegar and the last can of coconut milk.
4. Bring to boil and remove from heat. Serve with rice. The garnishing is strictly optional and to taste. Garnish with coriander leaves, onion and tomato slices and lemon wedges.
Author's Notes: This is from the Taj at Madras and if you like fish and coconut, absolutely delicious.
The same recipe can be done with chicken and lamb as well. The original recipe called for one fresh grated coconut or 2 \)12 cups of dessicated coconut. The milk of the coconut is extracted in two stages and are added in place of the cans of milk in the recipe above. The coconut is added in the ghee with the onions and the spice paste in the initial frying stage to make a richer gravy.
Difficulty : rather high. Precision : measure ingredients.
Recent comments and reviews for this recipe:
| Joyce Suresh writes:|
Very tasty and delicious fish curry. Thanks for the recipe.
Posted on 27 Dec 2007, 12:57 ET
| BENGALI BABU writes:|
bakwas recipe...... bengali RECIPE is much better................
Posted on 25 Dec 2010, 05:59 ET
| swethaishu writes:|
Its yummy i wish to prepare this at my home my mouth is watering.The colour is attracting i wish to share a chicken creamy cashew dish which is very nice i want u all to try this one
www dot chennaimoms.com(backslash)home(backslash)video_of_the_day(backslash)96?from =enlarge_video
Posted on 26 Apr 2011, 06:08 ET
Add your comment: